Carpet Cleaning & Allergy Prevention
Each year millions of Australians suffer from allergies. If this chronic ailment affects you, the last thing you want allergen build up in your home. For many years the most common solution was to remove fabrics and carpets in the home. Fortunately this method has been debunked allowing asthma and allergy sufferers to indulge in soft furnishing & textiles at home .
What Are Allergies & Allergens?
The basic concept of an allergic reaction is when your body has come into contact with a foreign substance or allergen, and your immune system spurs an immune response eg: watery eyes, sneezing, runny nose, hives, swelling & inflammation or shortness of breath. There is no singular cause or result of allergies. The most common allergens are pet dander, pollen’s, moulds, and dust mites. Dust mites are the leading cause of home allergies in Australia.
Symptoms of allergies can range from annoying to debilitating. If you begin to notice these symptoms, you should visit your doctor to test for allergies ASAP.
What affects does carpet have for Asthma Sufferers?
For asthma sufferers allergens are more than annoying, they can be dangerous. If you suffer from asthma your bronchial tubes become inflamed when you come into contact with allergens, causing more severe reactions such as difficulty breathing, wheezing, and inflammation. Asthma is serious. Visit your doctor immediately to assess which allergens trigger your attacks.
Allergens become trapped at the bottom of carpets, creating a storage bank of hazardous material and escalating the chances of flare-ups. Numerous studies have been performed that reveal the truth about carpet & Asthma . Research has found that carpets can be beneficial to allergy sufferers. Carpet acts as a filter for allergens, safely depositing them at the bottom of the room. Unlike hard surfaces where they are free to fly around the room. With proper deep carpet cleaning, your carpet can actually become a valuable tool in the fight against allergies.
Preventing Allergies in Carpets
Short Pile Carpets
If you’re purchasing new carpet, experts recommend sticking with a short pile. Loops, cut-pile loops and shorter cut-pile carpets still provide the basic service of keeping mites from becoming airborne, while retaining less allergens and are easier to clean.
The key to allergen control is proper carpet cleaning. Vacuuming your carpet weekly prevents the collected allergens from becoming a bigger problem. Invest in a quality vacuum with a high-efficiency particulate air filter (HEPA). A HEPA filter ensures that you’re capturing microscopic allergens, rather than blowing them back into the air you are breathing. Vacuums with HEPA filters can be expensive but they are definitely worth it.
Reduce Pet Exposure
Allergic reactions from a dog or cat’s dander is common and you should try to limit your exposure. Pets can cause a build up of allergens in a room so try to block your pet from any rooms where you anticipate spending longer periods of time.
What Other Cleaning Methods Control Allergens?
- Air out curtains & drapes – If you prefer to keep drapes over shades or blinds, try to air them out regularly. Experts recommend at least once a year.
- Wash bedding regularly – Your bedding can easily become a buffet for dust mites. Purchasing anti-microbial bedding can help, but regular cleaning is still the best option. Wash your bed linens at least once a week with hot water to kill any lingering mites.
- Ventilation – Dust mite droppings and dander will float inside a room that is not ventilated adequately. Opening windows and sliding doors will allow the stale contaminated air to be replaced by clean fresh air.
- Hire a professional carpet cleaner– There is only so much you can do to prevent allergens from building up in your home or workplace. Trust a professional to assess and clean your home or office to eliminate the maximum level of allergens.
- What Can You Expect from Hot Water Extraction Cleaning?
Whether you suffer from allergens or not, experts recommend deep cleaning your carpets at least once a year. Most professionals will recommend hot water extraction. Although vacuuming may remove surface dust and hair, hot water extraction can effectively wash or kill allergens hiding below the surface.
Call us today for you obligation free quote on 0491-075-652.